Sunday, December 23, 2012

Finally here

'Almost There' was quite and overstatement. If only I had known what laid ahead of us before my last post I may not have been as optimistic.

Due to heavy fog, the Wellington (North Island) airport shut down for the day so our flight was stranded at Christchurch (South Island). Our ultimate destination was on the South island though, so we got lucky in a way. Although we were unable to find an aerial route to Blenheim, we managed to squeeze a car out of Avis to reach Blenheim tonight. Sure beats staying at an airport hotel overnight before a dawn flight like the rest of our flight was stuck with... The downside was a 4 hour road trip with a serious lack of space, bathroom facilities and observance of the "right side of the road" policy we enjoy in America. Between switchbacks and mile-to-kilometer conversions we were however able to see a part of NZ that few people have (as evidence by the 20 max cars we saw), some seals on the beach and a beautiful sunset - not all bad.

Well it has been almost exactly 40 hours since we left our home in Atlanta, but I can finally say that we have made it. Flight cancellations, luggage snafus and left-sided roads have proven unable to keep us from Blenheim. I would never have expected this series of twist and turns, but we have dysfunctionally been able to get ourselves to the hotel after all. As I sit here with a healthy glass of Sauvignon Blanc, for which we are going wine tasting tomorrow, I can finally declare: let the vacation begin.

It may not have been the 'good meal' to fill my belly that I'd hoped for, but Burger King never tasted so good and I will certainly be sleeping well.

No comments:

Post a Comment